Here are some soxy ideas to help people jump in with both feet at your Odd Socks Day event. Which ones might work for your function? If you are cleverly creative and have a soxy fundraising idea, send it to us, so we can add it to this list. And after, show us how you did on social media: #growlive and #osd2016.
Soxy Feet Photo Comp
- Get your teacher, principal, senior executives to take a photo of their feet with odd socks on. Participants pay $5 to match the soxy photos with their true owner to win a great prize.
- Or, ask people at work to bring in one of their socks that defines who they are and participants need to mark who the sock belongs to on the Soxy Socks list.
The Cold Feet Raffle
- Hold a Trivia Night with a $10 entrance fee to win a great prize. Participants have to wear odd socks. Themed questions (eg. sports, movies, history, mental health) are put into socks which are numbered.
- Teams can pick a sock to pull the next question from. Include questions around mental health issues to tie in with Odd Socks Day.
Sock It To Your Boss/Teacher/Principal
- Charge people $10 to buy an “odd sock” which they can use to tie up their boss to a chair for a period of time during the event. Such fun!
Soxy Trivia Night
- Hold a Trivia Night with a $10 entrance fee to win a great prize.
- Participants have to wear odd socks.
- Themed questions (eg. sports, movies, history, mental health) are put into socks which are numbered. Teams can pick a sock to pull the next question from. Include questions around mental health issues to tie in with Odd Socks Day.
Active Odd Socks
- Organise a game of tennis, paintball, ‘barefoot’ bowls, ten-pin bowling, golf, roller skating or ice skating or other sport/game of your choosing.
- Provide lunch and charge an entrance fee with prizes for the winners.
The Cold Feet Raffle
- This is a reverse raffle where participants have to pay $5 or $10 NOT to go into the draw to do something (something embarrassing or getting people’s coffee for a week, kitchen duty all week etc.)
Soxy Sock Art
- Run a competition with an entry fee to see who can create the “soxiest” odd sock or sock puppet, or turn a sock into the most useful and unusual item. Watch the buttons and bedazzlers come out of the craft drawer!
- You can also create an art gallery of the finished pieces to sell or auction.
- Put a target on the floor/ground and sell a sock to toss (each one a different/colour pattern) for $2.
- The participant has to throw their sock closest to the target.
- Have multiple rounds (charge for a turn) and a grand final with the winner/s getting a great prize.
Odd Socks Lucky Dip and/or Raffle
- Put gift items or raffle tickets in odd socks and hang them or pin them up. People pay to pick a sock with a lucky dip item or a winning or losing ticket.
Soxy Sweets / Soxy Snacks
- Fill brightly-coloured socks with sweets or snack packets and sell them for as a fundraiser. You can also make the socks from paper/cardboard and staple or glue the edges together and fill with yummy things.
- Nibbly/wrapped food and drink can be served in socks for food-based events.
Sox Appeal Cookies and Pizza
- Make gingerbread or plain sugar biscuits and use a cut out to make a sock shape. Decorate with bright-coloured icing and sprinkles, lollies etc. to look like an odd sock.
- Make sock-shaped pizza bases (or cut out sock shapes from puff pastry) and put toppings on in stripes (eg. tomato, bocconcini, basil, eggplant) to get a stripey-sock pizza!
- Sell the food items as a fundraiser or provide as food for your Odd Sock-themed fundraising event.
Soxy Shots (Social Media Brand and Fund Raising)
- To help spread the word about your organisation and ours, run a “Soxy Shots” campaign where you donate $1 for every Instagram or Twitter post with a “soxy shot” that includes #growlive and your hashtag – helping with your social media marketing while supporting an important cause.
- Soxy Shot theme suggestions include:
- Take a “feet selfie” in your odd socks in interesting places
- Take an image of the best sock life hack (ie. alternative use) of an odd sock
- ‘Put your best foot forward”: odd sock shots with messages of hope and support
Big Event: 50s (Odd) Sock Hop
- Host a 50s sock hop where the music, food and outfits are 50s themed – guests must wear odd socks. Charge a cover fee and many of the fundraising activities suggested in this section could be incorporated into this fun event.
- Develop a treasure hunt or scavenger hunt, using bright socks to mark each clue along the way, or use bright socks to collect scavenged items.
- Charge a participation fee and have a great prize at the end.
- Put various household and food items in a brightly-coloured sock, one type of item per sock (eg. macadamia nuts in one, bolts in another, keys in another). Number and peg/pin up the socks and ask people to feel through the sock and guess what’s inside. Make sure you include some similarly shaped, sized and textured items to make it challenging!
- The person who gets the most right wins a great prize.